Here we go again. My iPad had to be replaced under warranty this week (it was only intermittently charging) so that meant all 4500+ books had to download from the cloud once more. It took about two days but down they came about 50/50 bought from Apple/Amazon. I immediately noticed that several of my books, all of them Amazon epubs, were missing their covers. So…
- Off I go to iBooks on my Mac to verify if the covers were still there. They were.
- I then try the trick of adding a new cover to a book (just drag and drop an image onto the book in iBooks - that made no difference to the iPad.
- Then I tried removing the download on my iPad and redownloading - it again came down with no cover
- I tried deleting the books from iBooks entirely and re-adding them - they disappeared from iPad and reappeared. Still with no covers.
Apparently Catalina has broken syncing. If you add epubs to iBooks then have them sync to the cloud and then iOS the covers often disappear. The reverse, syncing from iOS to Catalina works fine. This only applies to non Apple epubs (which is about half my book purchases). Here’s what I did to fix it
- Download the Kindle book
- Remove the DRM so I can use it / back it up
- Drag the book to my iCloud on the Mac
- Open “Files” on the iPad and download the book that is now showing in iCloud. iOS will open the downloaded book in iBooks, correctly showing the cover and then sync that back to iBooks cloud and onto my Mac.
It’s not a difficult solution now I know it’s there but it’s concerning how badly Apple are breaking iBooks on OSX when a primary reason for investing in their technology is the cohesive ecosystem.