Curse you Vegas.. you’re not meant to be cold, and by cold I mean I have to wear a light jacket everywhere. I’m very disappointed in you. I’m also not doing well with the massive crowds here at the conference, but that’s because I struggle in crowds. Anyway that’s all the bad stuff out of the way.. now the good stuff
DJs everywhere – music everywhere. I find it hard to be sad if there’s music to dance to. Lots of snack foods and healthy snack foods like veggies with dip. Purell stands everywhere because 30k sweaty people create a lot of “ew”
This conference is BIG – in every way BIG. Breadth of sessions, number of sessions, number of attendees, range of topics, amount of walking. Much of it feels way outside my pay grade but that’s a good thing – I get excited, energised, confused, scared and a little bit intimidated all at once.
First the “excited” stuff – Domino, Notes, Sametime etc v10
Much of the Domino v10 news was announced in the webcast on Feb 28th which I talked about here but the really really big news is Domino Apps for iOS. Know what that is?
It’s a Notes client application deployed on iOS that is able to run your Notes applications directly from your Domino servers with no programming changes required. Lotuscript, formula language, ACLs, reader fields all of it works even replication to the device.
Not only can you use your existing Notes applications on an iOS device but you can use Notes application development and the Domino servers to deploy new mobile applications
After that my presentation with HCL talked about changes to the Notes client, Sametime and Verse on Premises coming in v10. The presentation is linked below but some highlights
- Delayed mail send – allowing you to choose a time for the server to release a mail message you create
- Invite others to meetings – controllable by the meeting chair to allow invitees to invite others, invite others with chair approval or not invite. This can be changed for an appointment anytime and that kind of granular control is not something any other calendaring tool has
- Team calendars – where every member can equally create, manage and edit the invites. It can also be used as a team inbox
- Pre send mail hooks – allowing the administrator to determine via policies warnings that are shown to the user pre-send for example “attachment size is too large” “subject is missing” etc
- Sametime entitlement extended to mobile devices
- a commitment to a smaller client footprint, an upgrade from FP10 to v10 directly
The speed at which HCL are developing Domino and Notes (and there’s much much more to come before v10 releases in Q4) is a big change from where we’ve been in the past few years.
The beta program for v10 starts in April
Now the energised and intimidated stuff 🙂
Some of the best and most brain hurting sessions for me were recorded and are available for live replay (they don’t seem to require registration or login). I can even catch up with ones I missed https://www.ibm.com/events/think/watch/replays/
Some of my favourites that I recommend you viewing..