This week I will be presenting on upgrading Sametime to 9.0.1 as part of IBM’s New Way To Learn program (see here for details – requires login ). In preparation for that I wanted to take an existing environment I had and step through the upgrade of all components using the documentation. I discovered a few things I’ll share in my presentation and on this blog but one spectacular reoccuring critical full stop can’t move any further what was THAT – problem I thought best to share now.
After successfully upgrading the Community server (I know it was successful because the installer and the logs told me so 🙂 I discovered that the server couldn’t start the policy servlet. It was hard to see since all the other servlets started fine but if I watched the console as it tried to start I saw a servlet error when loading Policy and a message saying com.lotus.sametime.admin.policy.PolicyServlet could not be located. Luckily I’ve seen similar errors before in some 9.0 upgrades and on those it was the STCore.jar file which sits in the Domino program directory that was at fault. I took a backup of that STCore.jar and replaced the one in the program directory with one from a 9.0 server (bear with me, it was just to prove something) and sure enough, the server came up and launched Sametime this time finding the Policy servlet but missing the UserInfo servlet.
OK so I knew where I was. The STCore.jar that installed as part of the 9.0.1 upgrade was missing some policy files. I rename both the new 9.0.1 STCore.jar and the copy of my 9.0 STCore.jar to STCore.zip and then extracted them both so I could compare. I drilled down to the folder it claimed was mising com\lotus\sametime\admin\policy and in the screenshots below you can see my 9.0.1 version only has 4 files whereas my 9.0 version had 6 files including the missing one (PolicyServlet).
The STCore.jar as installed by the 9.0.1 upgrade
The STCore.jar from my 9.0 server
As you can see, the two missing files include the one the server was looking for. I extracted the two files and added them to my 9.0.1 folder then compressed everything again as STCore.zip and renamed to STCore.jar. I copied this new “fixed” (I hope) STCore.jar to the Domino directory and the server started with no problems. At least none I could immediately see.
I had come across this once before (an incorrect STCore.jar) on an earlier customer upgrade so it’s a recurring problem. I’m not sure what happens during the upgrade process – the file itself is dated 25th April 2016 so it’s not built during the install and isn’t broken for new installs. So two suggestions
1. Always backup STCore.jar before starting any upgrade along with sametime.ini vpuserinfo.nsf stconfig.nsf etc
2. If your server console is reporting a missing servlet during launch then verify that servlet exists in the STCore.jar